Optics Physics is the branch of physics in which we study the light.
In optics physics, we are able to understand the instrument which we use to detect the nature of light.
Table of Contents
Types of Optics Physics:
Optics is totally about the study of light, light processes, and vision. Light behaves like a wave as well as rays depending upon the conditions. Depending upon these properties optics physics further divides into two types.
1. Geometrical optics:
When light passes through some medium, light refracted from that medium and change the path of travel. Here the sine of the angle of refraction divided by the sine of the angle of incidence is a constant term. X- rays and gamma rays are considered in geometrical optics.
In physical optics, we study diffraction and interference of light as a wave. The speed of light waves in air is approximately 30×10⁸ m/s.The speed of light is about 30% slow in water as compared to some medium. Radio waves and microwaves are some types of light that are considered in physical optics.
For more detail visit here:
History of optics:
Lenses are further used in microscopes and spectrometers to see the things that are impossible to see with naked aye. Glasses are also made using the concept of lenses for the correction of vision. Various theories were introduced that describes the light as a wave, ray, and particle, etc.
The earlier studies on optics were known as classical optics but modern studies are categorised as wave optics and quantum optics.
Quantum optics is simply quantum mechanics that is applied to the photon in optics. Photons are the particles that quantized the energy and momentum of light in a vacuum. Quantum optics works on the nature of light as photons.
Importance and Applications of optics Physics:
- Optics becomes very important in today’s technology. Optics are usually used for entertainment, surgery, labs, and photography purposes.
- The study of optics is very important for future technologies. Optical communication is also a modern technique in the internet and telephony.
- In the field of medicines, optics physics has more important in various types of surgeries.Electromagnetic radiation is commonly used for heart and tumours surgeries.
- With the help of optics, physics vision problems are solved by eyeglasses and contact lenses.
- Photography becomes possible due to optics. Cameras that are used in photography are one of the applications of optics physics. Convex and concave lenses are introduced for forming the image of objects. Photographic lenses and magnifying glass are also applications of optical physics.
- LCD’s, lasers, spectrometer, telescopes, microscopes, CDs DVDs, cameras, mirrors, and prisms are the applications of optics physics.